Just add slake lime, then cook for a long as possible

Monday 30 July 2007

How Lovely to See You

We had security on the premises all day today. How pleasant. How reassuring. Unfortunately they've only come down because of an epidemic of high powered thieves. We're not talking kids nicking packs of chewing gum or crisps, we're talking pairs of experienced operators filling trolleys with top of the range alcohol, brand electronics, prime meat and wheeling the lot out of the store not via the checkouts.

We're suffering a plague of thieves.

We're also struggling to remain fully staffed; between 5:00 and 6:00 we were seriously struggling in the face of high customer numbers. One of them forced his way into the walk-in safe to get my attention, an act of fool hardiness that might, if I'd not blinked, resulted in him explaining himself to the armed response team that is supposed to be at my beck and call, without divulging the inner workings of our security. Our security was upstairs at the time and didn't come thundering down to my rescue.

Instead I had to sit about and mull over what had happened, for almost three hours, and work myself up into a fine old state over it. Even now I know I'm a bit on edge about it.

No comments: