Just add slake lime, then cook for a long as possible

Tuesday 31 July 2007

I had a dream

Last night I had a dream. Obviously not enough booze was consumed before going to bed. But that was because I had elected to treat myself and picked up some Hobgoblin rather than slum it with the fizzy stuff that they're selling so cheap at Tesco at the moment. In fact I've even gone off the Tesco own French wheat beer. So it was dark ale which doesn't seem to hit as hard, probably because I prefer to savour it.

Then I had this dream. Like all dreams, or all mine, it makes no sense. I guess there was loads more I couldn't remember when I woke but I know my sister was doing wheelies in a navy blue Austin 1100. This is the car our maternal grandparents had when we were very young, only theirs as I recall was a taupe-like shade, much more in keeping with the nature of the vehicle.

Quite what she might have thought she was doing I've no idea. The point seemed to be that in her state of perpetual motion she was out of reach. The only other thing I can recall is the little shop on one of the roads forming Camberwell Junction to which our mother took the two of us for early shoe fittings.

Odd to dream about her like that and couple of things from our childhood that were really rather dated even at the time. Our parents were simply re-living their own childhoods in us rather than re-inventing parenthood even slightly.

All this in a week when I've had my first letter from mum in simply ages.

No comments: