Just add slake lime, then cook for a long as possible

Saturday 11 August 2007

The benefits of a college education

Well they don't include the ability to proof read. All that tax payer subsidised education and Jack the Lad* couldn't be depended on to spot a basic error in some text - a table with three columns showing code number, description and quantity - I'd had to type up and asked him to sing-song with me. I read, he checked. We spotted the obvious error, which was a line largely missed. He missed the fact that after that line the code numbers were out of sync with the description.

Thanks Jack.

Fortunately I spotted the problem before sending off the order. Otherwise our Christmas wine offering might not have been quite what it should have been.

By the way that does go to show that not all businesses are gearing up for Christmas before the New Year festivities are recovered from, and sorted by Easter. No we're still deciding what we might want in and asking for it.

Any way none of this really matters. Jack the Lad has a profile on FaceBook (or another of those social networking sites) so he's obviously got all the technical skills to get ahead in life. And he does so remind me of my mother's younger brother as I remember him when he was the same age. Big sigh. I know Jack that one day you'll be balding and wear polyester trousers. What a shame.

*I suppose I can track Jack's progress through life via social networking sites: he's now left us and gone to university where, no doubt, he'll do splendidly.

No comments: