Just add slake lime, then cook for a long as possible

Tuesday 7 August 2007

That bloody song

The offspring is still in the early stages of establishing an independent aesthetic, both visual and aural.

On the music side she's still quite keen on her motown, which she picked up from us, but she's discovered more slightly less ancient stuff like Madonna and some random current stuff that just sails clear over my head. Who are these people?

Unfortunately one of the songs she's very keen on and plays a lot is So Macho which was recorded by someone called Sinitta. This dance song is infuriatingly catchy, but that's not my big problem with her giving the damn thing the time of day. This song made it huge as that year's great Gay Anthem. He's gotta have big blue eyes, blah blah. That's not my problem with the song either.

No, my problem is that the guy who wrote the damn thing and who still rakes in royalties has turned his back on 'all that' and now uses the income stream to fund his anti-gay proselytising north of the border via the Scottish Christian Party of which he is leader. I'm really uncomfortable with the idea with some how I'm funding or supporting his hateful activities, but I can't put my foot down and insist that she stop playing the damn song. Apart from anything else I'm loath to dignify this ragtag bunch of nitwits and perverts with too much of my time.

It is scary to think that Hargeaves, standing as a candidate for his party in a by-election last year received 411 votes for a platform that included promotion of creationism and advocacy of a Mind Pollution Tax.

So I have to go to work with the bloody thing ringing in my ears. Grrr

No comments: