Just add slake lime, then cook for a long as possible

Thursday 27 September 2007

The curvature of light

Putting a bit of a twist on the normal course of events we seem to be ahead of the curve when it comes to the environmentally critical questions of car usage and low energy light bulbs.

On the one hand we haven't had a car for years. Okay, okay I actually gave up the car because I knew that I was sooner or later going to kill someone (him possibly, both of us probably, potentially one or more innocent by-standers).

On the other hand I converted the house a couple of years ago to low energy light bulbs when our supermarket was offering them on a buy one get one free deal. Cynically I bought enough for every fitting in the dark and then two spares for each. I have no idea how much energy I've saved, how many pennies better off we are or the extent to which the planet is less depleted than in otherwise would have been. But I'm sure what I did wasn't a bad thing.

I haven't yet had to replace one of those light bulbs; they've turned out to be exceedingly good value.

No comments: