Just add slake lime, then cook for a long as possible

Wednesday 7 November 2007

An incredibly stupid thing to do

In the pantheon of sports horse racing ranks slightly ahead of Petrol Head Nirvana and the length of the staight up on pugalism; that isn't saying much since they've all been lapped long since by curling, lawn bowls and, um, some other dreary 'sporting endeavour' in the Interest Me stakes.

I once had a stake in a racing horse that died from lack of interest on my part (the stake, rather than the horse, that is).

Any ho. The Race That Stops The Nation is over, thankfully, as now the politicians can go back to doing and saying interestingly stupid stuff. And I can stop trying to weave the names of the runners into my novel in anagram form. Which is possibly the most bizarre and stupid form of displacement endeavour ever undertaken by a frustrated novelist.

4 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

What race was that? I don't want to sound nosey, but I'm just wondering - what colour is your hair this week? - And yes, before you ask, I did sit down to finish a chapter of my current novel.... Ho hum.

Henrietta said...

The race in question is the Melbourne Cup, occasionally the richest horse race in the world, the only 'quality' handicap race in the world, the only horse race of its kind taking place annual on the first Tuesday in November at Flemington In The World. I'm sure you get the picture.

It is an obsession with folk in my home city who have managed to convince the rest of the nation, even Sydneysiders, that it actually matters.

Even some foreigners, who really should know better, are pursuaded to send perfectly good race horses out there to try their luck.

It is a public holiday in Melbourne (I kid you not) and even federal parliament's proceedings have been known to pause so the inmates an listen to or watch the running.

My heart is set on going electric blue, but pumping out words - never mind the quality feel the word count - has got in the way this week.

I am not working in chapters, I am working in chaos.

DS said...

Not just parliament that has been known to stop. Old Ned Kelly's jury was rushed through its decision because Cup Day was coming up.

Henrietta said...

Now that, Dale, is a simply splendid piece of trivia. Thank you