Just add slake lime, then cook for a long as possible

Saturday 8 September 2007

Acclimatisation

It is something I've always feared and fought against. I suppose if I'd rolled over and accepted this fate as inevitable, embraced it, life would have been so much easier. I'd have fawned over his parents and allowed them to fawn over me, I'd have turned my back on my previous life and taken them as my family. I'd have enthused over queues, awful food, warm beer, rampant hypocrisy, appalling public 'services', a dependency culture, a crippling social welfare mentality, racism, class-ism, a royal family, sycophancy as a virtue....

Of late I've feared I might be succumbing through sheer weight of years and a growing sense that things at home are very, very wrong. All this god bothering whether from Howard or Rudd, the racism, homophobia, misogyny. But I still resist. And in those dark hours when I fear it might be happening despite my stout resistance I comfort myself with one thought:

I don't hate the WELSH!

No comments: